Is Your Kid In Legal Trouble? Know What You Should Do

Have you just found out that your kid was arrested for potentially breaking the law? If so, you may be unprepared for what steps you should be taking. Here are some tips about what you can do as their parent:

Understand Your Rights

There are many local laws that come into play when a kid is charged or arrested for a crime. In some areas, you won't be able to visit your kid while they are arrested and will have to wait for them to be released. While you can make requests to be with your kid when they are being questioned, there is no obligation to allow a parent to be there.

As a parent, you will not be able to stop the police from asking your kid questions or request an attorney on behalf of your kid. Those are things that you kid must do on their own. Your kid will most likely not be aware of their rights, so hopefully, they heard and understood their Miranda rights as they were being read to them.

Finally, it is important to be calm during the entire process. You may want to scream at a police officer about the situation, but it will make everything worse. You could end up being arrested yourself due to disorderly conduct.

Get Legal Representation

You can still get ahead of the situation and contact an attorney on your kid's behalf in preparation of their request. This will help speed the process along so get your kid released as soon as possible. You will want to find a criminal defense attorney to handle your case, not a family friend that only handles wills or real estate transactions. Not all attorneys will be qualified when it comes to a criminal defense case.

Be Prepared For What's Next

Your kid's attorney will keep you updated about their legal situation, even when you are not present for questioning. Hopefully, your kid is only dealing with a minor offense and will be given their release soon. Most minor crimes are settled during an informal court hearing with sentences like community service or restitution. Probation may be necessary until those requirements are met.

A full trial will be necessary for a major crime in a juvenile or criminal court. Your lawyer will play a key role in navigating you and your kid through this very difficult time, and hopefully prove your kid's innocence. Check out a website like for more information and assistance.